6.19.2011

Gypsy vs. Gypsy

The USA is chock full of different social groups, ethnic groups, gangs, etc.  In Ireland and the UK things are no different, but there is one group I was not familiar with until our move across the pond.
The Gypsies.
As an American the word gypsy conjures up images of old women in long-flowing skirts, heads covered by scarves, who are often viewed as outcast, beggars, and thieves.




These are Romani (or Romany, Roma) Gypsies, which is not exactly the same type of gypsy I am aiming to inform you of.  While Ireland does indeed play host to these types of Romani Gypsies there is another social group vying for the gypsy title.


I am talking about Irish Gypsies, or Travelers as they are more commonly referred to.  They are also sometimes called tinkers or knackers, which refers to services that were traditionally provided by them.  Tinkering being the mending of tinware (pots and pans) and knackering being the collection of dead or old horses for slaughter.  Pikey is yet another, but apparently more derogatory term for the travelers. Irish Travelers claim to be decedents of the aforementioned gypsies, but they have somehow morphed into something entirely different.

From this:

to this:


Irish Travelers are almost beyond my realm of explanation.  They are not exactly what Americans would call trailer trash, although upon fist glance that's what they appear to be. I had to ask a friend of mine to explain travelers to me.  The long and short of it is they live outside of mainstream society, travelling in caravans and often squatting on public land.  They maintain their own language, practice age-old traditions, and hold religion and virginity to the highest regard.


These apparent high moral standards had me scratching my head when I saw pictures of their children dressed like this:

This is a First Communion dress!!!
Not to mention they condone a practice called "grabbing" in which teenage boys can "grab" a girl and force a kiss upon her, and most are married by the age of 16! Which brings me to the real reason for this post!  If you enjoyed the clips I posted about Jedward a few weeks back you may just like this as well.  It is just as much of a train wreck!


"My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding" is a behind the scenes look at the secret lifestyle and outlandish weddings of these travelers.  I believe the show has now made it's US debut, but if you're not interested in frying your brain cells watching this Toddlers in Tiaras meets Jersey Shore trash television let me help you out.  The only thing you really need to see are the outrageous dresses of both the brides, attendants, and even some of the guests. So I've collected a few pictures from the web in order to present you with this Gypsy Wedding (and 1st Communion) photo montage!





















17 comments:

  1. All I can say is, WOW! This is just bizarre. I need a minute to absorb and process the absurdity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much. I really appreciated this excursion into the world of wedding garb.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my opinion, they are amazing. They don't live by comparing themselves to anyone else. They don't limit themselves to what society thinks. They just are. Personally, myself being a woman with large breasts, if I wear the same dress as a woman with small breasts, I look trampy and she looks classy. It's a terrible double standard and these women are just claiming who they are and living it. So be it! Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. it is nice to see that you arent as ignorant as the others( look guys I know how to spell, and Im a tinker) you shouldnt judge a book by its cover though, im educated, my husband works, our children and house are all clean. maybe you guys should get a clue.

      Delete
  4. im a gypsy nd i think people need to leave us alone we whant to be like this so just fuk off nd leave us alone

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a Romani Gypsy these people make me sick. An insult to our name.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "As a Romani Gypsy"? Are you kidding? How the hell can anyone make you people look bad or insult YOU? You do that for yourself. hahahaha Where do you think the word Gyp comes from?

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol what a piece of racist bullshit girl. geez

    ReplyDelete
  8. it's called television. it is not real.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It Travelers are beyond your 'realm of explanation' then perhaps you shouldn't be spreading ignorant stereotypes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Drove into a gypsy estate by mistake yesterday when I was to meet an estate agent to see a house. Everyone turned their heads and looked at me with complete distrust and disdain, most awkward moment ever. So yeah, it's only non-travelers that have a problem with travelers, not vice-versa.
    I wasn't even interested in the house any more, I'd rather live next to a dump site than to a traveler estate...looks similar anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it's very dangerous to make judgments about an entire group of people based on a television show or a few interactions with individuals. I interact with Romani here in Bulgaria regularly, and the vast majority of my experiences have been positive. I would never judge Italian Americans by "Jersey Shore," and I would never judge Romani or Travellers by "MBFGW," or just by driving into one of their communities. The first time I entered the mahala here in my town I got a lot of stares, and inquiries about where I was going and who I was looking for. At first it seemed hostile, but in reality, people were just very surprised to see an outsider since most non-Romani avoid the mahala. They thought I was lost and wanted to help me find my way. When I told them I was just on a walk, they were very polite. Some people invited me into their house for coffee, and now I have many acquaintances in the mahala who always greet me and welcome me when I go there. I have interacted with Romani all over Bulgaria, from small villages to crowded mahalas like Stoliponovo in Plovdiv, and again, my experience has been overwhelmingly positive. I encourage anyone who wants to understand more about these people simply to try and get to know a few of them as people, instead of judging a whole group based on outside observations of a trailer park or a TV show.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was a bit confused when I watched an episode of "My big fat gypsy wedding". At first I thought I was watching "Snog, Marry, Avoid"
    Lots of English girls dress provocatively these days it seems.I'm not talking about the wedding dresses but the outfits the female guests wear.
    Then I had to look up what an Irish Traveller was because I'd never heard of them. I now understand the difference between Irish travellers and the gypsies in Europe that were originally from India went to the middle east, came back and lived in Rumania, Hungary etc.
    I'd always heard of the Romas but the Irish Travellers are definately flamboyant.I was gobsmacked to hear the young girls off to their holy communion, talking matter of factly about how many diamonds were in their dresses and tiaras.Not talking fake bling here but REAL diamonds. Curious to find out what their parents do for a living.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of Irish traveler's live in poverty and have had very little education. This shows just provides people with a glimpse of the more wealthy and 'entertaining' people of the gypsy community. A lot can't even afford a wedding dress.

      Delete
  13. as a traveler, I have to say, some of you people are very disrespectful, you have to understand, the reason non-travelers did't know about us is because we didnt want you to. You infiltrated yourselves into our culture using roms and tinkers who dont have any morals or values, It's despicable. And it's ridiculous that you people don't know us but you are willing to judge us based on a tv show, in case you didnt know, that show was made to get good ratings, our lifes arent exactly like that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i think gypsies are an interesting group. this tv shows a minority of the travellers. While some tradition are a little crazy for me like marrying at 16, i think people should stop being so judgmental towards them. They are humans just like everyone else and they should be judged individually and on their deeds and whole selves, not on what you see on tv.
    People are always going on about racism about black people, middle eastern and so on, so who says its okay to judge travellers because of their beliefs and background?

    ReplyDelete